Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Beautiful Sin....




So, La Guru can get a bit obsessive when it comes to appearances. Brows should always be neatly groomed and two coats of mascara are a must for everyday. Sometimes, that everyday look is just not enough. Sometimes I may need a little coverage, or just need a little color to brighten up my day. It is because of this that my bathroom closet looks like the cosmetics department at Nordstrom. So really, do I need to invest in more? Well, yes, in support of local talent. Really that should be all right, just support but I found in this products to die for. What is this make up junkie talking about you ask? Sin Cosmetics, a new line created by one of Chicago’s most talented artist, Hernan Rivera. I was exploring the new collection and immediately fell in love with “Tribeca”, their triple split shadow, of whipped cream, shimmering taupe, and delicious brown all wrapped in one. It was not at all what I expected from this newbie line but then again I was told to….“Expect the unexpected, it’s amazing”, Wendy H. artistic director of Sin Cosmetics.
La Guru, yes self proclaimed junkie, spent most of her Saturday afternoon playing in a sea of fabulousness while speaking with Hernan Rivera. This is what he had to say….



"There is no right or wrong way or rules that say how make- up should be done. Make-up does not come with instructions! We hold the power within us to embrace our artistry and use it to our advantage."—Hernan Rivera, creator of Sin Cosmetics.

When did you decide to start your company and what made you want to go in that direction?

I have been working for a prestigious cosmetics line for a number of years now and was debating in what direction I want to go with that line. The opportunity arose when offered a higher position within the company, and after a few days of thinking it over; I woke up a few days later and thought why not go out there and do it for myself. I always wanted to start my own business and what better business then what I love doing.


So this is what you love but have you always wanted to be a make up artist?

I have always done my sister’s make-up and played around with it but never really saw myself doing this as a career. I never even thought about becoming a make-up artist until I really got a taste of this wonderful industry when I started working at Marshall Field’s Water Tower for the very prestige, Chanel. From there, I left retail to join Chanel’s traveling team for the Chicago land area. My entrepreneurial and people skills have helped me develop great partnerships with many renowned artists in different projects, including runway work, within the Chicago area.




Tell me a little bit about your first collection.

It’s great I love it. I made sure that all the products were made of a higher quality and really gave serious competition to major product lines out there. We are proud to say that all of our foundations, powders, and eye shadows are all mineral based and the entire line is hypoallergenic and contain vitamins C, E, and A. The pigments in the line are superb. There are some mineral make-up lines out there in which the pigment is not all there, but that is not the case with Sin Cosmetics; I made sure of that. It was very important to me to get true and vivid colors. I just know that Sin Cosmetics has something for everyone!!

Any one product you foresee as a major seller for your line?

The glosses will be one of the best sellers. They are not sticky or tacky like many other lines. I foresee the foundations doing just as well; they have a multi mineral complex to help protect the skin and complement any complexion. They are also hypoallergenic, with vitamins C, E, and A…I just know you guys will love them!!

Why “Sin”?

It was important for me to find a word that translated in English and Spanish (being my first language), “Sin” translates to the word meaning without in Spanish, and “Pecado translates to the word meaning SIN in English. So even in the slogan for the Cosmetics line it was important for me to use my Span-glish and really play with the word “SIN”. “Es un pecado estar SIN el” meaning “It’s a SIN to be without it”, which is flirty, fun, and daring just like the word itself.


Where can we expect to find Sin Cosmetics?

As of right now Sin Cosmetics can be found at MGO Fashion salon on 1754 W. Division in Wicker Park in Chicago and at our website www.sin-cosmetics.com. The site is currently under construction but check back very soon. You could also reach me directly at 708-769-0433 or HRivera@sin-cosmetics.com. Also note that not only do we offer a full collection but have a listing for services as well. We are fully staffed with very experience and highly trained artists that are available for fashion shows, photo shoots, weddings, etc.

Any products you would recommend for me? Tell me more about your Sheer tint?

Knowing that the Guru loves tinted moisturizer, I do highly recommend our Mineral Sheer Tint, it has an SPF 20. It is clinically engineered to multi-task as a foundation, sunscreen, and antioxidant lotion; and with a much more finished look that your average tinted moisturizer. Finish it off with dusting our mineral press powder all over the face, for beautiful, healthy looking skin. I know you will love it, Guru.


What are your price points?

My price points are very affordable yet I still managed to create my line with quality ingredients. It was very important for to me appeal to a wide range of customers, from the college girl who is price conscious and wants the latest products to the career woman who expects that high end quality.


When can we expect a major launch?

It is on the works as we speak, we have many ideas for the major launch party. It’s all a matter on setting the date and really working together with our sponsors for the event to ensure we make the most of it. At this point we are leaning more toward mid to late summer and of course the Guru is on the guest list.


And of course, La Guru will be there. I am so excited to run home and of course throw on my new eye shadow and my new Mineral Sheer Tint. La Guru is not only great at giving advice but I’m good at taking it as well. I’m glad I checked out this new line because it looks like the cosmetics department will not see me for a while, it would be a SIN to use anything else. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Hernan!I am sure your new line of cosmetics will be a hit! All your hard work and determination will pay off. You know you will always have my full support in everything you do. Much love! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo Betty. I wish GREAT success to you and your line of cosmetics. You have a customer in me!Love you!!!
    -Shaquilla

    ReplyDelete